Friday, August 22, 2008

Oral Argument

On Tuesday, I argued before the Ohio Second District Court of Appeals. Oral argument is one of those things that I very much love to do. This case concerned the authority granted by a power of attorney to vote certain shares of stock. I have written in this blog a lot about this case, which has been going on for three years now.

The judges were great. The questions they asked were insightful and showed that they had really done their homework. They knew the issues as well as I did, and I have lived with the case for the past three years.

While I was arguing that case, the Second District released an opinion in another case that I had briefed for Les Thompson up in Dayton. That case concerned the sale of a motor vehicle and the attempt by the creditor to collect the deficiency judgment. The Court of Appeals ruled in favor of our client and held that the creditor had failed to produce evidence of the vehicle's value and that the directed verdict we obtained at the close of their case was proper.

So, it has been a pretty good week so far. The only court appearance I have left this week is in the Morrow murder-conspiracy case over in Sumner County, Tennessee. That is just the arraignment - a five minute process here - although I plan on discussing with the District Attorney the fact that I have yet to see the electronic surveillance evidence, months after parts of it were played on Nancy Grace and other national media outlets.

~Tim

No comments: